Monday, June 6, 2011

Colossians 2:13-15 (part 1)

Can a non-believer truly understand the saving power of what went on when Jesus died on the cross without confessing with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and humbily repenting from their sins? In verse 13, When you were dead, shows right there that there is NO life without the saving power of Jesus Christ. Here it just shows that even though I am living, I am dead in my "tresspasses and sin". I could even say that even though I am living, I am in a never ending downward spiral of bottomless and unfulfilling self-fulfillment. This downward spiral of bottomless and unfulfilling self-fulfillment is why my commentary on these verses says that this word "dead" does not mean annimilation from this earth, rather it means spiritual seperation from God. There is no possible way for you to be serving two "spiritual" masters as it refers to in the gospels. Either you are serve and glorify yourself or you are striving to serve and glorify God, you canNOT have both: the actions are too contrary.

Well, since we are dead, seperated, selfish, unable to glorify God on our own accord then we basically come to a very quick conclusion that we have no chance. However, we a so quick to miss the the tense of the pharse. PAST TENSE! When we are talking about death and suffering and eternal damnation, I am so glad I realized that this death (seperation from God) is now in the past. The next phrase after "when you were dead" seems to be contridictory and only possible after a lengthy explanation of why. You used to be dead, but he made you ALIVE.

In my eyes, these two very simple phrases are the things that drive men mad. How can I go from seperation, spititual annihilation, self-glorification to love, joy, peace, patience, kindness etc. and only have it seperated by a comma? How can it be that someone I hated through my selfish actions, I now long to give glory to through my actions? How can I now be alive and inherit the crown of life, an eternal life of glory, and not have done any physical action to earn it other then confession and belief? It blows me away that the same power that Christ used to be risen from the dead in order to be made alive is the same power that can take a spiritually dead, sinning man (just like me) and ressurect his life in order to make him spritually alive.

So, can a non-believer truly understand the saving power of what went on when Jesus died on the cross without confessing with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and humbily repenting from their sins? Well first the non-believer must begin to understand the death that has them intangled. We must first see our death, in order to accept the life that is freely given to us.

Prayer:
Your power is unbelievable at times. I just don't see how such a great God would ever let me into heaven. However, the best thing is: you don't just want to let me into heaven, you are longing to have a relationship with me. You want to be my daddy. You not only want me to give you glory, but you are more then willing to give me power that is greater then any earthly power. I just don't get it, but I am thankful and humbled and forever indebted to you. I will strive to live my life to glorify you!

No comments:

Post a Comment